I was born in Greenwood Nova Scotia. I have lived in this country for 53 of my soon to be 58 years. From 9 months of age to 5 years of age, I lived in France because my Dad was stationed there when he was in the military. As an adult, I have also traveled beyond Canada’s borders and shores. As much as I love to experience different cultures and visit other lands, I am never happier than when I come through customs and I’m greeted by personnel wearing our nation’s flag on their uniforms. Canada is and always will be my home. There is a certain sense of familiar comfort when I enter Canadian airspace or when the tires of the car cross completely over into Canada. It’s that feeling you experience when you know that you are back home and that is it truly where you belong.
Today, on the occasion of my country’s 146th birthday, I’m sharing you with just a handful of the many reasons why I love Canada. My home and native land.
1. I love Her because so many individual Canadians have done and continue to do more to raise the profiles of the diversity of our Scientific prowess, Technological acumen, Arts & Entertainment talents, Literary abilities and of our Canadian Military. Most notably for me:
- Commander Rick Hatfield (no explanation needed)
- General Rick Hillier (Ret’d, Former Chief of Defense Staff of the Canadian Armed Forces)
- Captain G.W. Johnston (founder of Wounded Warrior Canada)
- James Gosling (Inventor of Java) and Mike Lazaridis (Blackberry)
- Dr. Wilbert Keon (performed first artificial heart transplant in Canada), Dr.’s Best and Banting (discoverers of Insulin) Dr. Michael Smith (developed controlled gene mutation) Dr. Andrus Nagy (discovered safe method of generating stem cells from adult human skill cells)and Dr. Harold Johns (first experimented with using radioactive isotopes to treat cancerous tumors)
- Authors, Michael Ondaatje, Stephen Leacock, Lucy Maude Montgomery, Margaret Atwood, Alice Monro (to name just a few)
- Actors, Christopher Plummer, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, John Candy, Donald & Kiefer Sutherland, the two Ryans, Gosling and Reynolds
- Actresses, Sandra Oh, Kim Cattrall, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin
- Singers, Anne Murray, K.D. Lang, Feist, Sarah McLachlan, Meisha Brueggergosman, Celine & Shania, Michel Bublé, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Adams, Stompin’ Tom Connors, Neil Young
2. I love Her because she is home to a young lady who had enough courage and spunk to use social media to raise awareness of the need for organ donation. Through her story and her efforts, Helen Campbell was able to inspire countless of thousands of Canadians and others worldwide to register to donate their organs.
3. I love Her because she has a wonderful and secure banking system and a Central Bank that chose to get rid of our penny, replace our $1 and $2 dollar bills with the Loonie and Twoonie coins and produce colourful paper and polymer currency with each denomination assigned it’s own unique colour(s).
4. I love Her because even though we don’t sing God Save the Queen in our classrooms any longer, she remains steadfast and loyal to the Monarchy. The Queen remains Canada’s Head of State and Commander in Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces
5. I love Her because you can travel from coast to coast, in any season and experience the wonder of three oceans, the awe inspiring jagged coastlines and majestic mountains, the vast expanse of the Prairies, the bone-chilling beauty of the Arctic and everywhere you go, you will be greeted warmly.
6. I love Her because she has one of the best Legal and Health care systems in the world. The systems are not without their problems but they are still among the best.
7. I love Her because she recognizes the diversity of individuals and of families. Of its over 34 million people (2011), 20.6 % were immigrants. She was the first country outside of Europe to legalize same sex marriages nationwide (8 years ago this month)
8. I love Her because even though her numbers are less than many other military’s, Her Canadian Armed Forces has and continues to provide excellent support both home and abroad and currently has personnel serving and making a difference for the better in over 20 domestic and foreign missions.
9. I love Her because her people have an international reputation of being nice and polite. Some say too polite but I tend to think that being too polite is better than the alternative.
10. I love Her because she is proud, she is strong, she is free and she makes me feel safe to be here, in my home and in my native land.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA! I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU.
So, proud that several years ago I created some t-shirts displaying that pride and our ability to make fun of ourselves.
This year, those t-shirts are featured on the cookies in the third photo of this post. All cookies decorated for this post were done so using royal icing and Premium Edible Icing Sheets.
Note: Original Image of Canadian Flag in Photos 1,2 and 4 courtesy of Wikipedia and altered with text by my through PicMonkey
Want to meet some other wonderful Canadians? Visit here where I’m linking this post up to today.